Monday

An awfully big adventure

I can't quite believe it, but tomorrow I will be embarking on a 7 day mission of self indulgence. I am travelling half way across the world to join my (immediate) family in celebrating my older sister's wedding. What I can't quite believe is that I am doing it alone!
For weeks now I have been giddy with the notion of a silent plane ride, a chance to read a book, a full nights sleep and time with my two sisters. Sharing the last month with my parents here really augmented a craving for my far away family. Knowing that it's only days away makes me almost self combust. However, as dawn approaches the realisation that I won't see my two little boys and my stellar husband has hit me like a sack of potatoes. I have been biting my lip all morning, pushing away thoughts of having to say goodbye, explaining to our eldest why I will be away for 'just a few day's'.
'But Mummy, I'll miss you, I'm going to be so sad', are not the words I was hoping to hear quite yet, and although so endearing, love infusing and precious, makes my ticker tumble into that of a mock turtle!
So to remedy this, I have decided to physically turn myself in two, leaving the pining mother aside for just a little while, to hold hands with that old Jen instead. The Jen who needs a break, who needs to breathe, who needs to paint her nails and be a little fancy-free.Then when I return, I think I'll be the best Mum (and wife) I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails