Sunday

Tourist in my own town


I had a spontaneously independent afternoon yesterday, where after a rather uninspiring trip to the dentist, I went to meet my sister in law and her husband (visiting from New Zealand) for lunch. My good husband looked after the boys while I supped on a very satisfying Japanese beer and enjoyed a glistening view of Sydney harbour.

Realising this experience was all too foreign to me, I threw out all guilty mother feelings and memories of that dentist's chair, and transformed myself into a would-be tourist. I then started to see the city in a different light...

So while meandering through the city foreshore we came across a couple of interesting sites. Had that beer gone completely to me head or did we really see a giant spider hiding under an overpass? Could we really have seen a boulder with a slightly unbecoming stare plonked on a very sorry looking sportscar right in the middle of a roundabout?

And when we told of our afternoon discoveries thankfully I had some evidence to prove our tall stories. Being a tourist in your own town opens up a wonderful window of treats and you see things you normally completely miss when rushing around. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails